Monday, May 18, 2009

Cleveland Marathon Race Report

I woke up at 4 am to get ready for race. I had a hard time sleeping probably only got a few hours sleep. Rick was picking me up at 4:30 so I had everything ready laid out and ready to go. We got on road got there about an hour before race time. Plenty of time to hit porta johns and get to starting line. I had lowered my expectations for this race because too many things got in my way of training. But had completed a 22 miler couple weeks ago so felt I could finish, if not in the 4:15 I orginally planned.

We got to the starting line waiting for the start, it was windy. Very Windy. We lined up near the 4:15 pace group leader but I wasnt sure I was going to stick close to that. I had made a plan to walk a minute every mile but didn't stick exactly to it. But did get in some here and there first half of race.

The first 5 miles or so went uneventful then we got to the side of road at a waterstop. I was carrying my own gatorade, the powerade on course doesnt always agree with me. We were going to walk a minute and get some water. Me and Rick were about a foot apart walking together when I heard some yell "passing thru". I thought she would be passing on my left, since there was plenty of room there at the time, but I turned to my right to make sure I must of moved a little that way and she must of stepped on back of my foot and she went down hard. I didn't realize how close she was. I helped her up and said I was sorry. I felt bad but really wasnt much room there to pass, why I thought she was on my left. She said she was OK, and got to side of road to put batterys back in her radio. So we got going again. Joking, we said that will teach her to pass us again.

Me and Rick got seperated, due to pit stops. I talked to this woman doing the half for a few miles. She had just started running over a year ago and was doing third or fourth half. Shortly after the 12 mile mark we split off. The crowd definitely thinned out. Shortly after mile 17 I pulled off and pushed against a tree to stretch my calves out for a second. Then I heard Rick behind me "keep running you p*$$y." Nice to see you again too. We kept running together for a few more miles. He started to fade, I was slowing, but tried to keep about the same pace. About mile 20 I couldnt see him any more. But I was getting nausous. Apperantly the comination of gatorade, water and GU wasnt working for me today.

Mile 22 I pulled into a porta john to see if I could relieve the nausea. No luck so I started going again. My calves had started cramping bad. I have yet to figure out how to get rid of this, of course it only happens after miles 20-22. So iI kept a run a minute or 3, walk minute or 2 into the finish. I got to the 26 mile marker, hoping to run it in. Lots of crowds, but calves cramped up so did an off an on run to try and finish it. Not sure I even want to see the finishing photos.

Then it got worse. I got my medal and my stomach was hurting bad. Something about stopping and being done made it worse. I really wish all the people hadnt been standing around. I then lost it and ended up throwing up right there, nothign but water. luckily had enoughs sense to put medal inside my shirt to avoid getting anything on it. Then 2 ladies that had been helping in the finishing area took me to medical tent.

I actually didnt feel that light headed just very nausous. After I laid there a bit and some guy held my legs up in air, got some more gatorade I was feeling much better. Guess I got whatever it was bothering me out. I was feeling much better, and went out to get some more water. Then looked for Rick. After seeing he wasn't in beer tent, I went to where car was parked. He said he saw I got sick but then didnt know what happened to me.

I guess I should be happy I finished, not sure when the next marathon is. I have some shorter races, 5K to half, planned for rest of year. Next time I want to make sure I can get in all the training I think I need. Knowing me there probably be another.....


Mel-2nd Chances said...

calf cramps suck big time, glad you finished though :) Well done and congrats!

ShutUpandRun said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sorry about the puke mishap after your marathon, but you did it!!! Great job.