Sunday, July 20, 2008

Presque Isle Half marathon


I got up early this morning and headed up to Erie for the Presque Isle Half. My wife and daughter went with me. Got up there about 6:30 or so got my shirt. I didnt know it before hand but they had pink shirts for ladys shirts and mens were gray. Heck I should of got the pink and gave it to my wife or daughter, Like I need more shirts. It had rained earlier and not sure if that made it worse or not. It was in 70's but I think the humidity was higher. After a not so quick restroom break we got started. My goal was to break 2 hours, but way the humidity was I wasnt sure I shouldnt adjust.
I started off good the first couple miles, then a few bad miles in there. And what felt like the right pace was just a little slower then I needed. At mile 8 I figured I couldnt break 2 hours. Now I think its head game. Maybe I could of pushed my pace, but I played it safe. I orginially wanted to hit the 10 mile mark at 1:30 to 1:32 then finish in like 28 minutes, but was a couple minutes slow. Then I finished the last 5K in 28:06. I was happy I finished strong, but was still a couple minutes slow, finished in 2:02:22. I think I hydrated right, but dang I was soaked at finished. Didnt think I could get any wetter. I was right, I took a jump in Lake Erie and wasnt any wetter.
Then we went over to the picnic. Had some hamburgers and beer. We normally go to the water park thats there after the race but for several reasons we decided not to. And the storm we drove thru on way home made me glad we did. Was raining rhinos and elephants, even pulled over a couple times cause I couldnt see. Then since I got home its been clear. Go figure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent job, Bruce! I knew you were crazy to begin with, but racing a Half in the thick of summer heat an humidity gets extra crazy points from me! :) Looks like you're toughening up well for a September marathon. Go Get 'Em!